Wednesday, February 8, 2017

3 Things I've Learned in this 40 Day Workout Streak

So, it's been 40 days straight of workouts.   Today's workout was a 2150 yard swim.  It's hard to believe.  It's been a rough 3 years to get to this point.  So, with every workout, I'm filled with gratitude!  I've definitely learned a few things along the way, too.  Here are the biggest three so far...

1)  Consistency breeds consistency.  Once I was about 7 days into my workouts (which were never intended to be a streak), it just got easier and easier to get the workouts in.   I found that I had fewer excuses NOT to work out.  I found that I really WANTED to get my workouts done.  The more I get the workouts done, the easier the workouts are.  I haven't been sore or really that tired.  My body feels better with every workout.  What's the saying?  If you're tired of starting over, stop quitting in the first place!  It really does get easier with consistency!



2)  Training makes me a better person.  I feel happier in the other parts of my life (work, family, household chores) when I've gotten my workout in.  I'm even happier to see the kids when they get out of school, even happier to see Brian when he gets home.  I feel calmer, more organized.  It helps me so much mentally.

3)  Scary goals are great for motivation!  If there is that little feeling of wanting to skip a workout, I really think about what I've committed to for 2018.   If I can't suck it up and get out for an hour today, what will push me to train hard in 2018 for MANY hours a day to get ready for Ultra520K Canada?!  The goal helps get me out the door.  But, truth be told, I love the process.  I love the training as much if not more than I love racing.

So, right now, I'm running about 5 days a week to get ready for some upcoming trail races.  I'm swimming twice a week to start to build some consistency there and work through the muscle weakness in my arms.  And, I'm riding occasionally as well.  Doing something every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment