Sunday, March 4, 2018

Road to Ultra520K Canada - February!

A lot packed into a short month!  I've raced more in 2018 than I did for all of 2017.  "Race" would be a strong word - I participated in some races.  And had a blast doing it!

I'm finding that the hardest part about this training is NOT the workouts.  It's the juggling of the schedules.  Work, kids activities, family time, rest.  It's hard to schedule the workouts I need to get in and still get everything else done.  When I'm out there swimming, riding and running, I'm loving it!  And, I'm feeling great.  But there is often this nagging thought that there is so much work to be done, family things to be done, etc.  I'm getting it all done, mostly thanks to my family supporting me all the way!

I'm thankful for good friends to train with and beautiful scenery.  We've also had really great weather for the most part given that it's Colorado in February.

Swimming - 22,900 yards - I'm so happy to be able to swim 3500 yards in a workout with no issues.  I feel good in the water and these workouts have been great for my body!

Cycling - 228 miles - Not a ton, but when I ride the trainer (which I had to due to weather/roads a fair amount in February) I cut my planned distance to 75% of my outdoor distance.  Feeling great on the bike.  Hoping for some good outdoor riding in March!

Running - 132 miles - This has definitely been the focus since my first 50k trail race is in just three weeks.  My proudest (and slowest) half marathon was in February.  I ran 20 miles on Friday morning and then forced myself to get out and run the Snowman Stampede half marathon on Saturday morning.  My feet were KILLING ME!  But, overall, I felt good and just ran it pretty easy.  Some great, fun miles logged this month for sure!

Rest days - 2 - One was on a day where I woke up just exhausted.  I can definitely tell the difference between "tired" and DONE.  On the days I need it, I take a nice big rest day.  I always bounce back feeling awesome!  The other rest day was a scheduling issue.  But, grateful for that rest as well.

I had some really cool things with work this month as well.  I'm working with some amazing clients at SwimLabs who are making incredible improvements in their swimming.  It's just so wonderful to see their excitement and progress.  I also had the opportunity to work with the incredible Katy Evans and D'Arcy Toffolo to teach a swim clinic for our awesome TriBella race team.  These ladies inspire me so much!


Join me in March if you can!  I'm always game for friends to join me at the pool, on the roads or on the trails.  Can't wait to tackle my first trail ultra in March.  I'm SO nervous, but really excited.  And, I look forward to meeting up with many of you as I continue moving forward toward my ultimate goal!


No comments:

Post a Comment