Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Making Tough Decisions

In September 2000, I completed my first half Ironman triathlon.  There was nothing pretty about it.  My swim was fine.  The bike and run were much hillier than I anticipated and temps were in the high 90s with REALLY high humidity.   To date, it is my slowest race at the distance, but obviously I was hooked.

So, here it is 17 years later and my goal this September was to complete my 17th half Ironman race.  Ideally with a new PR.  17th half IM...17 years after the first.  Has a nice ring to it!  But, with all the exciting travel this summer with family and friends, I didn't get to ride or swim much.  I was able to run quite a bit, though.  I went back and forth a lot.   I really wanted to make this happen.  And, with my years of experience, I could have.  But, at what cost?

I have 4 years of medical issues behind me at this point.  While I know I could complete the distance, would it be a smart thing to do?  I ultimately decided...no.  So, I rounded up some really fun friends and put together a relay team.  No pressure to place well.  No pressure to run a certain time.  The Hooligans will just be out there to have fun, and I always have fun with these friends.  So, I have two goals on the course on Sunday in Boulder as I run 13.1 miles.  Have fun.  And, cheer on as many other athletes as I can.  Not exactly how I wanted to do this race, but I think it will probably be pretty amazing!

My daughter is learning about the meanings of different sayings.  It's been fun watching her learn these things.  Some of them really strike a chord with me.  Finding a silver lining.  Count your blessings.  The more years I spend in endurance sports, the more relaxed I become about the details - times, placings, PRs.  It's becoming more and more about having fun, relaxing and just being present.  21 years ago, this was not the case.  It's been a long road with tons of ups and downs.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned is not to jeopardize my goals for an A race by putting too much importance on other events and races along the way.  Hence my dropping to a relay this weekend.   I've also learned that I cannot do it all.   I totally understand the desire to sign up for every race that sounds fun, is in a cool location, that all my friends are doing.  But, doing ALL these things may not be in the best interest of my most important goal.

So, everything I do in the next 11 months will be focused on Ultra520K Canada.  If something doesn't make sense, it's out.  Eyes on the prize and all that.  I'm looking forward to a fun relay on Sunday and even more fun in the next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment