Saturday, March 3, 2012

An Indoor Tri...and I don't even like the Indoors!

Really.  I don't like the indoors.  I don't like swimming in an indoor pool.  I don't like riding inside or doing spin classes.  I don't like the treadmill.  I don't like any of it.  So, today I did an indoor tri!

And...I had a blast!  I have to say that the only reason I loved it is because my TNT teammates were there.  It was so much fun seeing them work hard and seeing how the months of training are paying off.   Go Team!!

So, for the swim, I shared a lane with the famous Tim Farnham.  Yes, that Tim Farnham.  Super speedy swimmer Tim Farnham.   He lapped me several times, but I think I managed about 525 meters in the 10 minutes.  I had a lovely foot cramp for the second half of the swim, so I got to do the weird flexed foot kick trying to work it out.  Oh well.

I thought that MacKenzie and I were quite quick in our transition to the spin studio for our ride.  Apparently not.  They were starting our group as we walked in. Oops!  I threw on my old crappy spinning shoes without socks to save time and hopped on the bike, missing about a minute or two of valuable spinning time!  Seat too high.  Handlebars too high. Made a few adjustments on the fly and started spinning.  Apparently no one told me that the secret to this crazy indoor ride is to spin super fast with little or no resistance on the bike.  I don't ride spin bikes except when I'm pregnant, so I really had no idea what I was doing!  And, that awesome bike seat caused some serious chafing in some unmentionable spots!  But, I got it done.  16.5 miles in the 30 minutes.  As you can see the computers they use are NOT accurate, but we all use the same ones so it's all relative!

Having learned my lesson about transitioning quickly, I headed off to the treadmills.  But, Lifetime Fitness is a big place.  And, I have a tiny mommy bladder.  So, after a quick pit stop, I figured I probably still had plenty of time.  Nope.  Got to the treadmills as the guys announced we had less than a minute to the start.  Yikes!  Threw on some socks and my running shoes and hopped on with 10 seconds to spare!  Started out OK, but had a side stitch almost from the start.  Had to turn the speed way down several times to try to breathe it out.   But, I survived.   Got in 2.48 miles in 20 minutes.

Learned some great lessons on this one and actually plan to do it again next year.  And, I'm dragging Brian with me next time.  Now, don't be thinking that I'll turn into some gym rat.  I still hate being inside,  But, I would highly suggest that everyone try this out.  They do them at Lifetime Fitness around the country.  We had a great time and it was the perfect way to start my Saturday...alongside my TNT family!

No comments:

Post a Comment