Sunday, April 2, 2017

To the Rock on Mount Falcon…You Will Not Beat Me!

My trail running was going awesome!  I was feeling strong, getting a little more confident on the trails, feeling great about my upcoming races.  And, then it happened.  The rock.  In the wrong place.  At the wrong time.

We were doing 10 miles on Mount Falcon for my recovery week.  It was fun as usual.  On the 4 mile rocky descent back to the car…BAM!  My foot landed on a rock in just the wrong way jamming up my ankle.  The pain was searing!  I stood on the trail wondering how I would make my way down the last 2.5 miles on the rocks.  I managed to limp my way down.  "How's the ankle?" you may wonder.  Oh, it's great.  You know what's not great?  The hip on the other side!  Apparently as I limped for 2.5 miles, my right hip took the brunt of the force going down the hill all while I babied my left ankle.

Thankfully, my awesome physical therapists at Rebound Therapy (http://reboundclinic.com) are great at putting me back together.



This is never me at all.  Never.  Right, Djimmer and Christiaan?!

And, thankfully, I'm getting a tiny bit smarter in my old age.  And, thankfully, I'm a triathlete!  Can't run? Fine - I'll just swim and ride.  Sore shoulder?  No problem - I'll just run.  Being a multisport athlete allows me to get through injuries with many options.   And, it has allowed me to continue my workout streak.  Day 93 of workouts!  And, I even gained a little swimming buddy last week - Amelia swam with me on Saturday - so much fun!

The hip is feeling better after a little set back last week.  Still thinking I can make it through my first trail marathon in 2 weeks.  I WILL go back and conquer Mt. Falcon again soon, too.  I'll show that rock!  I'm not scared!

No comments:

Post a Comment