Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I Don't Like to Exercise

"I will not climb Deer Creek.  I will not climb Deer Creek."

That was my mantra last weekend as I started up the bottom of Deer Creek Canyon on my way to catch the much-flatter C470 trail on my ride.  I LOVE climbing.  I LOVE Deer Creek Canyon.  But, I'm trying really hard to follow my doctor's orders.  No training. No racing.  I can "exercise".

Guess what?  Turns out I do not love exercising.

I love training.  I love racing.  I do not love exercising.  When I played tennis, I trained with the goal of doing my best in the next tournament.  Then, I did not play tennis in college, so I started exercising.  I only did this so I wouldn't gain the Freshman 15 pounds.  I succeeded in coming out of college a couple sizes smaller than I got there.  But, I did not love it.

Shortly after graduation, I took up running (thanks, Jill!!).  I tried my first 5k and was hooked!  And, once again, I started training.  First 5ks, then 10ks, then marathons, then triathlons.   I really enjoy racing.  I like the challenge and the feeling of accomplishment.  But, even more, I enjoy the training.  I love intervals, tempo work, hill repeats, long workouts.

But, for now, I'm not doing any of that.  I'm swimming a little…very easy.  I'm riding my bike…very easy.  I'm jogging.   And, I'm accepting that it's better than nothing.  So, I'll keep exercising.  Just so no one is shocked, I am doing a VERY tiny triathlon next week.  Not racing. Not racing.  Just a little exercise with friends that will take less than an hour.

When I get really down about missing this triathlon season, I remind myself that I have friends who are too sick or too injured to even exercise.   I know that things could be soooooooo much worse.

I miss my triathlon peeps.  If any of you want to swim, bike or run with me, let me know!  Just promise we'll go easy!   I'm going to be the best exerciser I can be right now in the hopes that I'll be the best triathlete I can be soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment