It's done! The Rock n Roll half marathon and training for the Soma half Ironman. It's taper time, baby!
Things I learned during the half marathon today...
1. It's fun to run with Brian - that hasn't happened in years! (Thanks to Millie for watching the girls!)
2. Don't do long tempo efforts on the bike the day before a half marathon.
3. Don't do those tempo efforts on a bike you haven't ridden in a year.
4. When something hurts...just keep pushing. Soon enough, it might stop hurting. Then, something else will hurt. Repeat process.
5. I don't like running in cold weather. I'l take the heat, thanks!
I achieved my goals for the race, despite some hip flexor and hamstring issues. Was shooting for something under 1:55 and my time was 1:52:22. At the end of two weeks of peak half IM training...I'll take it! Plus, it's a new post-babies PR! An interesting note...our pace at the 5k mark was 8:38 per mile. Our pace at the 10k mark was 8:38 per mile. Our pace at the 10 mile mark was 8:39 per mile. We averaged 8:25 per mile for the last 5k. Very steady and then faster in the end. The plan worked! (I might have liked to have gone a little slower in the first 3 miles and a little faster in the last 3!)
It's taper time now! 2 weeks until the Soma half Ironman. Let's see if the legs will come around by then!